Agricultural History Series
Missouri State University
1904 St. Louis Worlds Fair
Polled Durham Show
The Polled Durham exhibit at the St. Louis World’s Fair brought about the realization of vast improvements in this hornless Shorthorn. Though numbers were weak, it was made up for in sheer quality of the individuals. Nearly every entry had shown the vast improvement in its breed over the last decade. It was said that each year brought the Polled Durhams closer to the ground, more compact, and improved beefiness and quality.
A line of Polled Durham Bulls.
Though some animals weren’t entirely filled out, other exhibits sent forward more than compensated for the shortage. It was noted that the Polled Durhams of some exhibitors were not nearly as good as had been claimed. Indiana made the largest contribution to the exhibit. Several Durhams had scurs, and some, “doctored” horns (meaning that the animals had apparently been dehorned). The Breeders Gazette mentioned “It is unfortunate that any breeder should exhibit Polled Durhams on which a judge can detect such defects.” (Breeders Gazette, 1904)
Capt. Welch judging the Polled Durhams.
First Prize winners were: (Sex):
(Category): (Name): (Owner, Location). (Winnings)
· Bulls: Aged: Golden Hero: A. C. Wood & Sons, Pendleton, IN. $50
· Bulls: Two-Year-Olds: Scottish Hero: A. C. Wood & Sons. $50
· Bulls: Senior Yearlings: Grand Trojan: J. H. Miller, Peru, IN. $50
· Bulls: Junior Yearlings: Windemere Tip: Flecher S. Hines, Malott Park, IN. $35
· Bulls: Senior Bull Calves: Lord Marvel: J. H. Miller, Peru, IN. $35
· Bulls: Junior Bull Calves: Mary’s Milton: J. H. Jennings, Streator, IL. $35
· Cows: Aged: Ruby of Buttonwood: Fletcher S. Hines. $50
· Cows: Two-Year-Olds: Emily Craggs 2nd: A. C. Wood & Sons. $50
· Cows: Senior Yearlings: Pride’s Princess: A. C. Wood & Sons. $50
· Cows: Junior Yearlings: Princess Mary: J. H. Miller. $35
· Cows: Senior Heifer Calves: Hero Maid: A. C. Wood & Sons. $35
· Cows: Junior Heifer Calves: Buttonwood Eva: Oscar Hadley, Plainfield, IN. $35
· Group: Aged Herds: Herd: A. C. Wood & Sons.
· Group: Young Herds: Herd: J. H. Miller.
· Group: Get of Sire: Herd: A. C. Wood & Sons.
· Group: Produce of Cow: Fletcher S. Hines.
Breeders Gazette, September 28, 1904, p. 536-538.
World’s Fair Bulletin, November, 1904, p. 36-37.
Photos from Breeders Gazette.
This page was designed by Duane Nanneman and is maintained by Lyndon Irwin.
Go back to the Beef Cattle page.
Go back to the Worlds Fair page.