Agricultural History Series
Missouri State University
1904 St. Louis Worlds Fair
It was said that the show of Ayrshires at the 1904 World’s Fair was representative of the statistical standing and excellence of this dairy cattle breed in the country. All entries in this breed came from east of the Mississippi river with a few from Canada.
The Ayrshire Champions in the Daily Parade
The judge of the Ayrshire class was Professor Fred S. Cooley of the Massachusetts Agricultural College, Amherst, Mass. Although clearly stated in the rule book, all prizes were to be awarded by using the one-judge system prohibiting the use of score cards. However, Prof. Cooley preferred to use a score card and it seemed to be a success and there were no complaints.
Some classes were a challenge for the judge. For example, a dozen bull calves were entered in the show and they had to be brought into the Forum four times before the judge made up his mind.
The First Prize winners were:
- Aged Bulls: Comrade’s Heir of Glenora; sire, Comrade of Garloff: J. G. Clark, Ottawa, Canada. $75
- Two –Year Olds: Lucinda’s Boy; sire, Major Vebank; Wm. Lindsay, Plainsfield, New Jersey. $75
- Yearlings: Telford Douglas; sire, Lord Douglas 1st of Maple Grove; W. P. Schanck, $50
- Bull Calves: Smiler; sire, Lord Watson; E. J. Fletcher, Greenfield, New Hampshire. $50
- Aged Cows: Maud S. 1st of Hillhouse; sire, Traveler’s Heir of Hillhouse; J. G. Clark. $50
- Two Year Olds: Marion of Burnside; sire, Duke Clarence of Barcheskie; Wells & Son, Newlington, Connecticut. $75
- Yearlings: Princess Lilias; sire, Glencairn of Ridgeside; Wells & Son. $50
- Heifer Calves: Mina 2d’s daughter; sire, Duke Clarence of Barcheskie; Wells & Son. $50
- Senior Champion Bull: Lucinda’s Boy
- Senior Champion Cow: Maud S. 1stof Hillhouse
- Junior Champion Female: Mina 2d’s Daughter
- Grand Champion Bull: Lucinda’s Boy
- Grand Champion Female: Maud S. 1st of Hillhouse.
Reference: The Breeder’s Gazette, September 28, 1904
World’s Fair Bulletin, November 4, 1904
Photos from Breeder's Gazette
This page was designed by Lacy Swiney and is maintained by Lyndon Irwin.
Go back to the Dairy page.
Go back to the Worlds Fair page.