Agricultural History Series
Missouri State University
1904 St. Louis Worlds Fair
The Flower Garden Exhibit
The flower garden in the Exposition grounds was located between the Palace of Agriculture and Horticulture. 65 days prior to the World Fair, the land consisted of railroad tracks that were a muddy path that lead to the Palace of Agriculture. It was then turned into the flower garden. Colors of red, yellow and orange came from the flowers of geraniums, coleus, lantanas and stokesiaes. Before the World’s Fair opened, the area was seeded by J.H. Hadkinson, the superintendent of floriculture.
Reference: Journal of Agriculture of 1904
This page is designed by Janet Thacker and is maintained by Lyndon Irwin.